ALA/AASL Midwinter Conference 27 January 2013 Affiliate Assembly
AASL President Susan Ballard shared her vision of the library of the future. A model school library will host three spaces for social, global, virtual active learning. Her bubbly personality and encouraging presentation are inspirational!
ALA/AASL Midwinter Conference 27 January 2013 Keynote Caroline Kennedy Notes:
- Libraries continue to be intimate places of discovery and self exploration.
- The best books are the ones with notes in the margin, since they allow you to see through the eyes of another reader and learn what they thought was important.
- The hallmark of civilization is the preservation of knowledge and history...that's libraries.
- The importance of libraries is evidenced by the fact that in almost every war (especially Hitler in WWII), libraries are some of first buildings destroyed. Within the Patriot Act that was recently debated, some in the government wanted library circulation records to be opened allowing the government to see what people are reading and possibly plotting.
- 77,000,000 people in the United States used a public library in 2012.
- In difficult economic times, libraries are needed the most for people to stay in contact with the world, do research, apply for jobs, complete taxes, etc.
- After Hurricane Sandy, libraries were some of the first "businesses" that reopened. People were hungry for information. Oddly, the only videos available after the storm were those that were checked out or overdue at the time of the hurricane!
- Libraries and librarians are some of the first institutions/people immigrants trust.
- Poetry can hook kids who aren't good/avid readers. Poems can capture a moment/thought and be very short in length.
- Most kids believe that if it's not online, it doesn't exist; therefore, libraries need to be highly visible online.
- "We are all leaders...We are all followers!"
Kennedy’s collection of poems entitled Poems to Learn by Heart is sold on Amazon.
The Seattle Times covered her presentation
Learn about the ALA Youth Media Awards @ http://www.ala.org/news/mediapresscenter/presskits/youthmediaawards/alayouthmediaawards